November 10 | Portland Art Museum
The submission period for the 2018 Portland Book Festival is now CLOSED. The Festival lineup will be announced on September 6.
Portland Book Festival (formerly Wordstock) will take place on Saturday, November 10, 2018 at the Portland Art Museum and neighboring venues. The festival will feature a diverse group of contemporary authors in conversations, panels, and presentations. When evaluating submissions, we consider not only a book’s literary merit but where it might fit in with the other work in the festival lineup.
Please read all of the following information before submitting a book to Literary Arts for consideration for this year’s festival. To be considered for this year’s festival, please send or have your publicist send the following:
- Three copies of a finished book/galley/ARC/manuscript (note: electronic submissions will not be considered)
- Completed 2018 Portland Book Festival Submission Form. You may attach additional information if needed regarding travel, local connections, or anything else we should know to best evaluate your submission.
- A press kit with clippings and reviews and an author bio, including past publications when applicable, and any other information that often helps us evaluate the submission.
- Send to Literary Arts, ATTN: PORTLAND BOOK FESTIVAL, 925 SW Washington Street, Portland, OR 97205
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please make sure you include all materials.
- Literary Arts will accept submissions of books between January 8, 2018 and June 29, 2018 for the 2018 festival, which takes place on Saturday, November 10, 2018.
- To be considered, books must be published in the eighteen months preceding the festival; priority consideration will be given to books published in 2018.
- Books are accepted on a rolling basis. Please send your submission at your earliest convenience.
- Should you be selected to be a part of the festival program, you will hear back no later than September 2018.
- Due to the large number of submissions we receive, we are unable to reply to each inquiry individually.
- Materials will not be returned.
- All authors who are invited to participate will be featured in a panel or conversation session with other authors; the festival will not feature authors for book signings only or for solo presentations/readings.
The festival will consider books in the following genres:
- Art and architecture
- Children’s literature, including middle grade and young adult
- Cookbooks and food writing
- Fiction — all genres
- Narrative nonfiction — history, biography, memoir, and essays
Portland Book Festival focuses on the promotion of literature and literary culture; books on the topics of self-improvement, how-to, or books strictly of academic or religious interest will not be considered.
Self-published titles will only be considered if they meet the following criteria:
- Printed copies can be available for our book seller to sell
- The work has been professionally edited and a marketing plan is in place
- The author maintains an accessible website
The consideration for self-published titles that meet the above criteria will be the same as traditionally published books, as outlined above. For the 2018 festival, we will not accept self-published titles that exist only in ebook format.