- This event has passed.
A free 90-minute Delve discussion on Normal People by Sally Rooney, led by Delve guide Sara Guest. The discussion is limited to 16 people and pre-registration is required. Click Here to sign up in advance for this event
Bursting onto the scene at the age of 26 with the 2017 publication of her first novel Conversations with Friends, Irish novelist Sally Rooney has quickly assumed a coveted spot not only as a voice of her generation but as a prolific and extraordinarily gifted literary stylist and character-builder. Her sophomore follow-up, Normal People, is a fresh, entertaining and devastating triptych through the angst associated with launching oneself out of late-adolescence and into the world.
- How “normal” are the normal people in this novel?
- What do you find most intriguing about Connell and Marianne?
- What feels new or novel about Rooney’s voice? Her approach to character?
- What does this novel have to teach us about love?
- How do class differences complicate things for Connell and Marianne’s attachments and connections?
- What, ultimately, is this novel about?