Festival Activities for Middle Grade (ages 8-12)
Middle Grade Panels
Check out fantastic Middle Grade authors in panel discussions at the Oregon Historical Society and other venues, throughout the day. View a schedule of Middle Grade events here. (Schedule subject to change without notice.)
- Green Bean Books will sell all kids’ titles in the room at the Oregon Historical Society
- Authors will sign copies of their book following their panel
Family Friendly Activities
On Oregon Historical Society’s pavilion, outside the Tim & Mary Boyle Stage, family-friendly activities will include:
- Crafts with local artist and autthor, Addie Boswell
- Crafts and Activities with the Portland Early Learning Project
- Origami crafts with Yuki Origami
- Where’s Waldo?
- Participate in the Where’s Waldo scavenger hunt, hosted by Candlewick Press! The scavenger hunt checklist entry forms can be picked up in the tent on the pavilion, and there will be several large Waldo cut-outs scattered throughout the Festival grounds for children to find as well as a real-life Waldo making several appearances, popping in and out of venues. All participants get a sticker when they finish and will have their names entered to win a Waldo deluxe prize pack. Two lucky kiddos will win prize packs, and there will also be Where’s Waldo books available for purchase.
- And other family fun!
- Entry to the Portland Art Museum and the the Oregon Historical Society exhibits are included with your Festival pass (Free for youth!)
See your favorite authors up close! Select middle grade authors will have pop-up readings in the Portland Art Museum galleries! View a schedule of pop-up readings here.
Workshops for writers of all ages are available at the Festival! Drop In Poetry Writing For Middle Schoolers will run from 12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m. in the Kinney Classroom at the Portland Art Museum. Admission is free. Pre-registration available and strongly encouraged — this will fill up! Details on our website.
Books & Gifts
Lots of fantastic exhibitors are selling kids’ books and gifts in the Book Fair!
Hungry? Check out our delicious food trucks that can be found parked on the SW Park Avenue!