The Youth Programs of Literary Arts inspire public high school students to write, publish, and perform their own creative writing.
Literary Arts’ Youth Programs reinforce the real world importance of reading and writing. We work with high school age students in schools and organizations throughout Portland, East Multnomah County, and Oregon. Our programs inspire students to find their voices and allow youth to be a part of the broader literary community.
Serving High School Students
In 2017/2018, our Youth Programs served more than 4,000 students with a variety of literary opportunities, including:
- Writers in the Schools: semester-long writing workshops in high school classrooms
- Books for classrooms and school libraries
- Public student readings at local bookstores and cafés
- Publication of student work in annual print and digital anthologies
- One-day visits by local and world-famous authors
- Students to the Schnitz: transportation, books, and tickets for school groups and community organizations to attend Portland Arts & Lectures and Special Events
- Verselandia! high school poetry slam
- College Essay Mentoring Project: helping students with college and scholarship application essays
- Youth writing classes and free admission for high school students at Portland Book Festival