2022 Graphic Literature Award Guidelines and Entry Form
The purpose of the Oregon Book Award in Graphic Literature is to honor outstanding published work by Oregon cartoonists and graphic novelists and to bring attention to Oregon’s literature. The finalists for the 2022 Oregon Book Awards will be announced in February 2022, and the winners will be announced at the Oregon Book Awards Ceremony in April 2022.
Please read the following guidelines carefully.
Submission Process for the 2022 Oregon Book Awards:
- Eligible entries are printed and bound comics and graphic literature. An ISBN is required.
- Either the primary writer or primary artist must be an Oregon resident whose legal residence is in Oregon at least six months of the year. A resident who moves away from Oregon permanently after the submission deadline will be disqualified. A qualified resident who dies after submitting their publication may receive a posthumous award.
- Publications must have an original publication date between September 1, 2019 and August 31, 2021. In the case of a collected work, this timeframe applies to the publication date of the entire volume. A reprint of a book previously published as a volume before September 1, 2019 is not eligible.
- The award is for the primary artist and/or the primary writer; editors are not eligible. If both the primary artist and primary writer are Oregonians, they will share the award.
- Anthologies containing multiple works created by multiple authors and multiple artists are not eligible.
- Works that are essentially wordless (text on less than 20% of the pages in a work) are only eligible if the primary artist is an Oregonian.
- The award is not given for translation; if the text is a translation by an Oregonian and the primary artist is not an Oregonian, the work is not eligible.
- The award is not given to a writer for adaptation of work previously published by other authors (such as graphic adaptations of classic literature). If the text is an adaptation by an Oregonian and the primary artist is not an Oregonian, the work is not eligible.
- A title that is submitted for the Graphic Literature award is not eligible for submission in any other genre for the Oregon Book Awards. Work that has been previously submitted to the Oregon Book Awards is not eligible.
- Work authored or published by Literary Arts staff, trustees or Oregon Book Awards & Fellowships Advisory Council members, as well as their immediate families, are precluded from consideration for Oregon Book Awards. Literary Arts staff, trustees, and Oregon Book Awards & Fellowships Advisory Council members are also precluded from serving as Oregon Book Awards or Oregon Literary Fellowship jurors and from receiving Oregon Literary Fellowships. Work authored by former Literary Arts staff, trustees or Oregon Book Awards & Fellowships Advisory Council members may be considered, provided that the staff member, trustee or Oregon Book Awards & Fellowships Advisory Council member resigned from their position at Literary Arts at least six months before the earliest submission date.
- In the event of a dispute regarding a title’s eligibility, Literary Arts will make the final decision on eligibility.
- Literary Arts reserves the rights to refuse a submission for any reason.
There are three steps for submitting a book for the Oregon Book Awards:
- Fill out the form at the bottom of this page and submit. (Please note: after you submit the form, the page will re-load and take you to top of the page. You will need to scroll down to see the confirmation).
- Submit the Application fee at https://literary-arts.org/product/2022-oregon-book-awards-submission-fee/. PLEASE INCLUDE THE TITLE OF THE SUBMITTED WORK IN THE “ORDER NOTES” WHEN YOU PAY YOUR FEE SO THE FEE CAN EASILY BE CONNECTED TO THE TITLE YOU’VE SUBMITTED.
- After you submit the application fee, email email@example.com. You will be sent a Drop box link invitation for submission of the PDF of the nominated title. Please note: it may take 2-3 business days for you to receive the Drop Box link invitation.
- Your application is not complete until you have submitted all 3 items listed above – the application form, the fee, and the PDF of the title to be considered. Please note: The application form and fee must be paid by the October 2, 2021 deadline. PDFs should be submitted within 2-3 days of receiving the drop box link; since some authors may not receive the PDF link until after the deadline, PDFs can be submitted after the OBA deadline, but application form and fees are due October 2, 2021. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.