In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
Bookmark: A Benefit for Literary Arts
October 25, 2017
Click here to visit the event landing page. Bookmark: A Benefit for…
Fireweed Blossoms: A Literary Celebration and Community Gathering
November 1, 2017
Join us at Literary Arts for a multigenerational community celebration to honor the release…
2017 Wordstock: Portland’s Book Festival
November 11, 2017
Join Literary Arts for Wordstock: Portland’s Book Festival, our annual celebration of literature.…
The Moth Mainstage
December 11, 2017
The Moth returns to Portland on Monday, December 11. This extraordinary performance…
Everybody Reads 2018
April 5, 2018
In partnership with Multnomah County Library and The Library Foundation, Literary Arts is…