In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
Getting Help with your Oregon Literary Fellowship application: Drop-in session
July 25, 2019
Friday, August 2, 2019 is the deadline to apply for an Oregon…
Margaret Atwood in Conversation with Omar El Akkad
September 25, 2019
Literary Arts is proud to present an evening with Margaret Atwood, acclaimed…
Ta-Nehisi Coates in conversation with Renée Watson
October 21, 2019
Literary Arts is proud to present an evening with acclaimed author and…
2019/2020 Portland Arts & Lectures: George Packer (Sold Out)
October 24, 2019
The series will begin on October 24 with author and staff writer…
The Moth Mainstage in Portland
December 10, 2019
The Moth returns to Portland this December! This extraordinary performance will sell…
Everybody Reads 2020: Tommy Orange
March 5, 2020
Literary Arts is proud to host an evening with award-winning author Tommy…