In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
Whitenoise Project 22 + Caldera: Jolly Wrapper / Ahmed / Cheuk / Penaloza
September 17, 2019
Join Whitenoise Project and Caldera for a special event at Literary Arts.…
2019/2020 Portland Arts & Lectures: George Packer (Sold Out)
October 24, 2019
The series will begin on October 24 with author and staff writer…
The True, Brilliant You: Master Class with Brenda Shaghnessy
November 7, 2019
Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Instructor: Brenda Shaughnessy In…
Portland Book Festival 2019
November 9, 2019
Join Literary Arts for the 2019 Portland Book Festival, presented by Bank…
The Moth Mainstage in Portland
December 10, 2019
The Moth returns to Portland this December! This extraordinary performance will sell…
Everybody Reads 2020: Tommy Orange
March 5, 2020
Literary Arts is proud to host an evening with award-winning author Tommy…