In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
WITS Writers-in-Residence Reading
November 29, 2018
Literary Arts is honored to have accomplished poets, journalists, novelists, essayists, and…
2018/2019 Portland Arts & Lectures
December 4, 2018
The 2018/2019 series is sold out! Sign up for our newsletter at…
One Page Wednesday December
December 5, 2018
Writers, escape the solitude of your desk. Readers, come hear great fresh…
The Moth Mainstage in Portland
December 10, 2018
The Moth returns to Portland on Monday, December 10. This extraordinary performance…
Everybody Reads 2019: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (SOLD OUT)
March 14, 2019
In partnership with the Multnomah County Library and The Library Foundation, Literary…
2019 Oregon Book Awards Ceremony
April 22, 2019
Join Literary Arts’ annual celebration of the state’s most accomplished writers in…