In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
Exploring the Lyric Essay
February 2, 2020
February 2-23, 2020 Sundays, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (4 class meetings)…
Everybody Reads 2020: Tommy Orange
March 5, 2020
Literary Arts is proud to host an evening with award-winning author Tommy…
Fear and Writing
April 4, 2020
April 4, 2020 Saturday, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Instructor: Peg Cheng For…
2020 Oregon Book Awards Ceremony
April 27, 2020
Join Literary Arts’ annual celebration of the state’s most accomplished writers in…