In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
Wendy Chin Tanner, Jennifer Perrine and Pamela Santos
March 20, 2019
A reading featuring the poets Wendy Chin Tanner, Jennifer Perrine and Pamela…
Cave Canem Fellows Reading: Off-site AWP event
March 27, 2019
Experience Cave Canem’s annual Off-Site Reading at AWP Portland, hosted by Literary…
VONA’s 20th Birthday reading: Off-site AWP event
March 29, 2019
VONA is celebrating 20 years of supporting writers of color. VONA, The…
2019 Oregon Book Awards Ceremony
April 22, 2019
Join Literary Arts’ annual celebration of the state’s most accomplished writers in…
April 25, 2019
Celebrate Portland’s youth poets during our eighth annual Verselandia! poetry slam. Students…