In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
2018/2019 Portland Arts & Lectures
October 11, 2018
Series subscriptions start at just $90, and include five memorable evenings with…
Gramma Poetry: Anastacia-Reneé
October 19, 2018
Anastacia-Reneé’s words frame so many questions: what is sacred, what is beauty,…
2018 Portland Book Festival presented by Bank of America
November 10, 2018
Join Literary Arts for the annual Portland Book Festival (formerly Wordstock), presented…
The Moth Mainstage in Portland
December 10, 2018
The Moth returns to Portland on Monday, December 10. This extraordinary performance…
Everybody Reads 2019: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
March 14, 2019
In partnership with the Multnomah County Library and The Library Foundation, Literary…