In Light of Matches
by Emma Brown from Cleveland High School
Published in the 2007-2008 WITS Anthology I Once Was Young and Strong
1. Johnny Cash fell into a burning ring.
2. Bright colors that faux witches feared in Salem.
3. Gooey marshmallow, chocolate, and graham-cracker creature.
4. A force in which to make things disappear.
5. Length like an embrace that goes on and on.
6. A consumer, a destroyer.
7. Keeping food you love so dearly warm.
8. The original crackle, left unpatented.
9. Adding fuel to fire.
10. Sirius Black’s communication method.
11. What children are told not to play with by distrustful parents.
12. A light in people’s darkness.
13. If only a dragon existed.
14. Water’s victim.
15. Help to a field before planting time.
16. A vortex of light and color.
17. The image on tacky clothes.
18. A fuming silence.
20. A herd of angry villagers banishing from a town.
21. A deadly stare watching you pass through a dark alley.
PDX JAZZ: Carnival to Mardi Gras: A New Orleans Tradition
January 23, 2019
Carnival is a season; Mardi Gras is a day. Join former New…
WITS End of Residency Readings: Benson High School Students
January 30, 2019
Celebrate the next generation of writers during our WITS end-of-residency readings
Northwest Academy: Erin Hoover and Jennifer Perrine
February 7, 2019
A reading with Erin Hoover and Jennifer Perrine Erin Hoover’s debut poetry…
Everybody Reads 2019: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (SOLD OUT)
March 14, 2019
In partnership with the Multnomah County Library and The Library Foundation, Literary…
Barry Lopez: Horizon Book Launch
March 19, 2019
Join Literary Arts for a book launch event for Horizon, the latest…
2019 Oregon Book Awards Ceremony
April 22, 2019
Join Literary Arts’ annual celebration of the state’s most accomplished writers in…