Apply to Become a WITS Writer
WITS hires published professional writers to teach creative writing to high school students. This is a part-time contractor position. WITS provides an orientation prior to placement, and provides ongoing professional development. As part of our commitment to build a roster of teaching artists that reflects the rich diversity of Multnomah County’s schools, we seek applicants from all of our diverse communities.
Writers interested in teaching for WITS should send a cover letter, resume (including publication and teaching experience), the name and contact information for three references, and a brief writing sample (appropriate for high school students to read) to Ramiza Koya, Director of Youth Programs, by regular mail or email:
Director of Youth Programs
925 SW Washington Street
Portland, Oregon 97205
Applications to teach for WITS are due June 15, 2017 for school year 2017-2018
Apply to Become a WITS Apprentice
WITS is now offering an apprenticeship opportunity for writers of color. Self-identified writers of color who do not currently have the experience necessary to be a lead teacher with Writers in the Schools and would like to gain that experience, please consider applying to our apprentice program.
Apply to Become a Writer in the Schools (WITS) Apprentice
We are looking for writers who can demonstrate a combination of:
- an established and disciplined writing practice
- experience with youth and/or other community work
- evidence of creative output (published work, or other forms of creative work out in the world)
The WITS Apprentice Program spans two semesters.
Semester One: Learning about WITS and becoming a member of our community of writers
- Observe 3 WITS writers teaching during their residencies
- Attend 1-3 WITS writer meetings
- Meet with a WITS Program Specialist (either Joanna Rose or Ramiza Koya) to learn about lesson planning
- Attend an end of WITS residency reading
- Semester One stipend= $500
Semester Two: Learn alongside a WITS writer during a residency
- Attend planning meeting with cooperating writer
- Attend observation with cooperating writer
- Assist cooperating writer as directed by writer and Program Specialist
- Teach lessons or part of lessons toward middle/end of residency under supervision of writer and program specialist
- Semester Two stipend= $750
The WITS program has the capacity to work with one or two apprentices each term; applications are competitive.
How to Apply to be a WITS Apprentice
Please send letter of interest and resume to Director of Youth Programs, Ramiza Koya, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Please feel free to contact Ramiza by phone or email if you have any questions about the application process: (503) 227-2583 ext.109 or email@example.com