Apply to Become a WITS Writer
WITS hires published professional writers to teach creative writing to high school students. This is a seasonal contractor position that entails working one residency per year; salary is adjusted according to the number of classes taught during that residency. WITS provides an orientation prior to placement, and provides ongoing professional development. As part of our commitment to build a roster of teaching artists that reflects the rich diversity of Multnomah County’s schools, we seek applicants from all of our diverse communities.
Writers interested in teaching for WITS should send a cover letter, resume (including publication and teaching experience), the name and contact information for three references, and a brief writing sample (appropriate for high school students to read) to Ramiza Koya, Director of Youth Programs, by regular mail or email:
Director of Youth Programs
925 SW Washington Street
Portland, Oregon 97205
Applications to teach for WITS are due June 15, 2019 for school year 2019-2020
Apply to Become a WITS Apprentice
WITS is now offering an apprenticeship opportunity for writers of color. Self-identified writers of color who do not currently have the experience necessary to be a lead teacher with Writers in the Schools and would like to gain that experience, please consider applying to our apprentice program.
Apply to Become a Writer in the Schools (WITS) Apprentice
We are looking for writers who can demonstrate a combination of:
- an established and disciplined writing practice
- experience with youth and/or other community work
- evidence of creative output (published work, or other forms of creative work out in the world)
The WITS Apprentice Program spans two semesters.
Semester One: Learning about WITS and becoming a member of our community of writers
- Observe 3 WITS writers teaching during their residencies
- Attend 1-3 WITS writer meetings
- Meet with a WITS Program Specialist (either Joanna Rose or Ramiza Koya) to learn about lesson planning
- Attend an end of WITS residency reading
- Semester One stipend= $500
Semester Two: Learn alongside a WITS writer during a residency
- Attend planning meeting with cooperating writer
- Attend observation with cooperating writer
- Assist cooperating writer as directed by writer and Program Specialist
- Teach lessons or part of lessons toward middle/end of residency under supervision of writer and program specialist
- Semester Two stipend= $750
The WITS program has the capacity to work with one or two apprentices each term; applications are competitive.
How to Apply to be a WITS Apprentice
Please send letter of interest and resume to Director of Youth Programs, Ramiza Koya, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Please feel free to contact Ramiza by phone or email if you have any questions about the application process: (503) 227-2583 ext.109 or email@example.com